Sunday, December 7, 2014

Flip Flops for Friends - 'Tis the Season


Tis the season to be thankful - for family for friends, health and happiness!  Everyone has a different definition of what family, friends, health and happiness is!  Over the past few days I have seen so much joy, appreciation and happiness to fill a whole year!  

Traveling to the DR with my daughter, parents and friends has been such a heartwarming experience.  The smile has not left my daughter's face since we arrived.  Seeing her do the work that she did to collect the flip flops and seeing how excited the children were to receive them.  Talking to the children on the bateys and at the school, then getting in the car and saying "I love it here!"  Having the opportunity to show my parents the work that I have done in the past and what they have taught me has paid off, was amazing for all of us to share.  Taking the time to share with two of my Rotarian friends, who are Dominican and whose families are still here, the love of a country that they are so connected to, has been extremely moving. But most of all I am thankful for the experience to be able to come and share not only with my some of my family and friends, but to provide some small  assistance to children and families in need.  There are times we take small items for granted like getting "another pair of flip flops or another shirt" but to the people we saw over the last few days, this was a gift that will last for a while.  My hope is that this experience will be the beginning of so much more for all of us.

Over the past few days we distributed over 600 pairs of flip flops, 70 soccer shirts and received the best gift of all - hundreds of smiles and more gratitude than we could have ever imagined!

Thank you for the support of us and this project!  To Be Continued in February!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment